How many of you knew that the month of October has been dedicated to increasing awareness about Domestic Violence?
Well it has. However, we are used to seeing pink ribbons in honor of Breast Cancer awareness during this time instead. Yesterday a friend of mine doing PR for a play in honor of domestic violence made me aware of this. Then today I had the privilege of seeing a play written by my mother named "Trouble Don't Last Always" at my uncle's church, El Bethel in Thomasville, NC. The program at the church was specifically about Domestic Violence Awareness and the play depicted different forms of abuse. After leaving this play I was inspired. In particular, I was enthused by the keynote speaker, a member of the church who unbeknownst to any of us has been through about 40 years of abuse.
Who I AM
You think you have the right to tell me who I can and can’t be
Just because of a few nice years when you were actually good to me
You think that gives you control and the right to make me cry
And hide behind little white lies when inside another part of me has died
I let you steal my power and crush my pride
But now I am taking it back and you can step aside
You see I am battered but not broken and it’s been way too long
I refuse to let you win and at my funeral sing a song
I am taking back my power and snatching back my pride
I am stepping out of this situation with a formidable strength to my stride
Though the words you have spoken in days past are still like shackles and chains
With the love of God I know what I have gained
With many tears I have begun a catharsis to come back renewed
I am ready to face what life has to offer and I no longer need you
I can be who I choose to be
And contrary to what you may have tried to make me think that wonderful person is ME!
*********************************************************
The poem above is about someone freeing him or herself from the fetters of abuse.
The poem that follows is the exact opposite.
Cloak of Shame
She is hidden in the shadows of her shame
Afraid to even hear anyone call her name
She goes about in silence clinging to its safety
Because when she speaks up it is a fist in the face coming ever so swiftly
Does anyone really see the fear in her eyes when she puts on her mask?
Or do they prefer to let her pretend, afraid of what they may hear if they ask?
Besides the bruises are her business everyone knows that
To try to step in and help may mean a knife in the back
So where can she go if she wants to leave?
She does not want to be homeless when she has kids to feed
No it is better to stay and deal with the pain
At least then her children have a home even if things can get a bit insane
So she continues to walk in the shadows, shame falling like rain
Afraid to speak out, she no longer knows her name
She is lost in endless battle without and within
Welcoming an early death, its morose face her inevitable end
**********************************************************
I have not been true to my blog. It has been weeks since my last post. But it is an avenue for my own personal expression, and today I have chosen to express my deepest empathy for anyone that has experienced abuse.
I do believe it is more people than we might think. In fact, I doubt there is any person that has not been touched by it directly or indirectly in some way.
To anyone that is reading this, please feel free to get more information about Domestic Violence Awareness Month by assessing the following link:
http://dvam.vawnet.org/index.php
No comments:
Post a Comment