This is history! Thanks to the authorization of President Obama special force of U. S. agents, likely Navy Seals, went into Abbottabad, Pakistan-an affluent area of the city, and raided a home said to be eight times larger than any other in the area-and killed the man responsible for the beginning of the end of so many hopes for millions-Bin Laden. I will never forget where I was on that dreadful day of September 11, 2001. I was on my way to a class related to my English major (as I was a double major in college) and learned when I arrived that my professor was delayed. Though it would ordinarily not be allowed, students were able to see the television in the Professor's lounge. I watched Katie Couric and Matt Louer announce that planes had crashed into the twin towers in New York. I then watched in astonished and dismayed awe as people leaped to their deaths from the buildings moments before they came tumbling down into heaps of blackened ash and rubble. So many died. Thousands. So many innocents and heroes. Policemen and fire fighters courageously went to their deaths in the fatal and fruitless hopes of saving some of the lives trapped inside those structures. Since then, it has been a steady decline in what I have viewed as opportunity for me, a young educated woman, to make her way in this country. We waged a war based on unproven allegations; an operation that was supposed to be brief but has become a modern day mirror of Vietnam in so many ways. But today--we have victory! I have always been proud to be an American. But today is a special day for me, a patriot. Today, we begin to finally put the pain and devastation of those days behind, and forge ahead proud, with fortitude, perseverance and dignity. Today is the end of the doubts terror took from us and the rebirth of all the opportunities that lack of closure denied. We are free again to be all that we once dreamed with liberty and justice for all!
No comments:
Post a Comment